Coconut and lime cake recipeINGREDIENTSFor the cake
225g baking margarine or butter
225g caster sugar
2 limes, zest and juice
225g self raising flour
100g dessicated coconut
For the syrup
juice of one lime
100ml of water
For the buttercream
250g Key Lime Icing Sugar from Sugar and Crumbs (using this amount of the flavoured icing sugar will give a very strong flavour. If you don’t want it so intense, you could use half/half Key Lime/Regular icing sugar, and if you’d just like a hint of the flavour, you can replace a few tablespoons of 250g of regular icing sugar with the Key Lime flavoured one).
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line 3 8″ round sandwich tins with baking paper.
2. Put all of the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat until combined.
3. Pour into the prepared tins and bake for about 25-30 minutes until risen and golden.
4. While the cakes are cooking you can make the syrup. Add the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring while the sugar dissolves. Turn up the heat and boil for 5 minutes or so, then take off the heat and as it cools it will produce a syrup.
5. Check the cakes. Insert a toothpick into the centre and if the sponge is baked through it’ll come out clean.
6. Brush the syrup over the top of each cake while it is hot in the tin. Don’t drown them, just a light brushing is enough. Coconut cake can be very crumbly, this helps it to keep it’s shape a bit more and intensifies the lime flavour too.
7. Leave for ten minutes in the tin then put onto a wire rack to cool properly.
8. Make the buttercream by beating the butter with an electric whisk for a few minutes, then add the icing sugar a dessert spoonful at a time and continue to beat until fully combined and fluffy.
9. Once the cakes have cooled completely, spread the buttercream on two cakes, and sandwich together to make a cake of three layers of cake and two of buttercream. If you have any buttercream left, you can spread another layer on top but this isn’t entirely necessary. Add sprinkles if you like.
10. Put the kettle on, cut yourself a slice and enjoy!